You have added and removed network adapters multiple times
- You have upgraded VMware virtual network adapters. This can also include updating the virtual machine hardware version and/or upgrading the version of VMware Tools.
This issue occurs if a network adapter with the same IP address is in the windows registry but is hidden in the Device Manager (My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager). This hidden adapter is called a ghosted network adapter.
- At the command prompt, run this command:
- Start the Device Manager by running this command from the same command prompt:
- Click View > Show Hidden Devices.
- Expand the Network Adapters tree (click the plus sign next to the Network adapters entry).
- Right-click the dimmed network adapter, then click Uninstall.
- Once all of the grayed out NICs are uninstalled, assign the IP address to the virtual NIC.
- Close the Device Manager.
A reboot may be necessary to apply the changes